Balancing Work and Personal Life as a Franchise Owner
For business owners, one of the best ways to stay on track for success is to make sure you’re paying as much attention to yourself as you are to your business. What do we mean? We mean keeping a healthy work/life balance afoot. The good news is that with proper planning, the dreaded “business burnout” can be avoided or remedied when it arises by following some business basics.
7 Tips to Maintain a Work/Life Balance as a Business Owner
1. Set hiring standards. Hire employees who are reliable and understand what it takes to work for a doggy day care and boarding facility. Not only should you ask for references from each interviewee, but be sure to check them, too!
2. Don’t be afraid to delegate. If you’ve hired reliable employees, you should feel comfortable loosening the reins a bit and allowing your employees to handle the day-to-day.
3. Set expectations for employees. Make sure that roles and expectations are clear. There’s nothing more stressful than having to do other peoples jobs on top of your own. Your employees should have clearly outlined job duties and task standards. Trust us — this will make things go so much smoother in the long run!
4. Plan your work hours accordingly. As a Camp owner, you’ll have the opportunity to make your own hours (to a certain degree). Try to be realistic about the time you’ll spend working onsite, and try to make those hours as productive as possible.
5. Everybody needs a weekend. You may not be able to take time off during the actual weekend, but creating “your own weekend” will do just fine. If your slower days are mid-week, perhaps take Tuesday and Wednesday to be “off the grid” for a few hours and spend time with family.
6. Put a plan in place for emergencies. As a Camp owner, there’s no doubt you’ll be on speed dial should any issue arise — and rightfully so. However, while you definitely want to be notified should something go awry, you also want to have a plan in place for mild issues to be handled in your absence.
7. Ask for help when necessary. Remember, you’re never in this alone! We vowed to provide support for you from day one, on. Take us up on that offer and turn to your Pack for advice whenever you need it.
While owning and operating a Camp can be a lot of work, you don’t have to always be chasing your tail! Following these tips can help you set aside some much needed “me time,” so you can return to work feeling relaxed and energized, ready to run your business right!
Link paws with a leader in the pet care industry — Camp Bow Wow! We’ve got franchise opportunities in a variety of markets nationwide. To learn how you can join the Pack, fill out the form below to receive your complimentary executive summary, or give us a call at 877-700-2275.